Guide to Chainsaws
Petrol chain saws are suited to more demanding tasks; selection will vary according to the type of use.
HOME: lightweight, practical machines (30 cm³ to 40 cm³) for lopping and liming branches, chopping down small plants and cutting up firewood for the home (models GS 940, 937, 941 C, 941 CX).
Proper Maintenance of your Chainsaw
- Clean the machine after every session, removing sawdust that collects under the chain guard and in the cutting mechanism.
- Periodically, inspect the air filter and spark plug (models with petrol engine), replacing when necessary.
- Clean the cooling circuit (models with petrol engine).
- Adjust the fuel-oil mixture, with fresh fuel and special 2-stroke oil (models with petrol engine).
- Sharpen the chain and check the tension; if the chain is worn, replace with a new one of the same pitch.
- Inspect the bar, and if worn along the chain guide channel, remove and fit a replacement.
- Top up the chain oil reservoir.
- Remember to lubricate the bar tip sprocket periodically.